Author Topic: ISSMA Judging Panels  (Read 1235 times)

Mike Pavolko

• Penn High School

• Total Posts: 21
  • Total Rep Points: 23
  • Rep Giving Power: 0

• Mike Pavolko has no influence.

• Current Location:
    Mishawaka Indiana

• View Profile

ISSMA Judging Panels
« on: October 19, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »

I read the "Laymans Guide to ISSMA Events", but still have a question about the judging panels.  Does anyone know if judges always evaluate a class or group of bands for the 1st time at the ISSMA events?  What I am referring to is for example lets say "Judge A" worked the Class B  North regional.  Could "Judge A" be assigned to work Class B for Semi-State and or State?  If so this judge would be evaluating the North class B bands for the second time and the South B bands for the first.  I would think they should be evaluating whatever Class they have for the 1st time.  I hope my question makes sense.   

Brooks Chupp

• Goshen

• Total Posts: 57
  • Total Rep Points: 72
  • Rep Giving Power: 1

• Brooks Chupp barely matters.Brooks Chupp barely matters.

• Current Location:
    Goshen

• Pining for the fjords

• View Profile

Re: ISSMA Judging Panels
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »
It's not a requirement that the judges be fresh for each ISSMA event, no.

Jason J. Kahl

• The Oaks Academy

• Directors

• Total Posts: 95
  • Total Rep Points: 55

• Jason J. Kahl barely matters.Jason J. Kahl barely matters.

• Current Location:
    Indianapolis

• View Profile

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »
No, we have had Regional judges who we see again at Semi State in the past.  More likely, we have had many District judges we see again at Semi State.  Often, they switch captions on another day, but not all the time.  There is a master list, and the judges gives weekends that they are available early in the process.  Some can only do District with their schedules, and others can only do Regional and Semi State with their schedules.  That is probably why you may see a "new" judge at Regional.  There also seem to be judges that come and go in a 3-4 year cycle.  That keeps the state fresh from the "this judge just never likes us" excuse, I presume.  Even with new judges, there always seems to be a veteran on the panel. 

Let em know if I messed anything up with this... :thumbup:

Mike Pavolko

• Penn High School

• Current Location:
    Mishawaka Indiana

• View Profile

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »
I ask the question not because I am looking for the"this judge just never likes us" excuse, I presume".  I am just curious if there is an advantage to being evaluated by a judge seeing a band for the 1st time vs. one that may have just evaluated a band the week before and is now doing so for a second time.  It not a question of whether or not a judge likes us.  I just think it would be more balanced if a judge was seeing one band for a second time that that should be the case for all the bands in any competition.  So maybe all regional judges could rotate classes from Regionals to Semi-State.  From Semi-State to State it would not matter as they would have seen all the bands had they judged a given class at semi state and then were assigned the same class at state. 

Greg M

• Not Affiliated

• Total Posts: 677
  • Total Rep Points: 260
  • Rep Giving Power: 5

• Greg M has an aura about them.Greg M has an aura about them.Greg M has an aura about them.Greg M has an aura about them.Greg M has an aura about them.Greg M has an aura about them.Greg M has an aura about them.Greg M has an aura about them.Greg M has an aura about them.Greg M has an aura about them.

• Current Location:
    Kansas City, MO

• Love, Truth, Honor

• View Profile

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:18:13 PM »
I believe that, prior to the existence of semistate, the panel at state for each class was comprised of three judges from the north regional and three judges from the south regional.  I might be wrong, but something similar might happen for semistate.
Marching Band Fanatic since 1993.  22 Years of Marching Band Infatuation (and counting).

Jason J. Kahl

• The Oaks Academy

• Directors

• Total Posts: 95
  • Total Rep Points: 55

• Jason J. Kahl barely matters.Jason J. Kahl barely matters.

• Current Location:
    Indianapolis

• View Profile

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:37:33 PM »
I didn't mean to offend you.  I should explain that I track what judges I see when, and this years panel seemed to be comprised of a lot of people I haven't seen since 2008.  Back to your point, I think there is some advantage to someone seeing you once before.  Lots of times, I have seen judges at District or Regional that I have seen at an invitational before it.  They tend to understand what you are or are not doing in that given day.  I also understand from the association standpoint that is very difficult to align schedules and travel expenses every weekend.  If it is more convenient to bring in an available person even in the same class, then so be it.

Mike Pavolko

• Penn High School

• Current Location:
    Mishawaka Indiana

• View Profile

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:57:06 PM »
No offense taken Jason.  Thank you for the response.  I would assume that if a judge did not like a certain part of anyone's show they would prefer to not have them on the panel at the next competition, but as you indicate there may also be advantages to having a repeat judge.  Especially if they really liked something a lot, but then they will have already formed an opinion of a portion of the bands and others will be seeing for the first time.  I am just a parent of a musician wanting to understand a little more and it seems that with the competitions being so closely contested, ISSMA would try to have panels that have not already developed opinions about any of the competitors.  I do understand that this may not be logistically possible.   

Share me

Select your bookmark:       
(send this topic...)
Facebook  Twitter  Digg  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Google  Yahoo

Copyright © 1998-2014 - IndianaMarching.com
Proud to be a Supporter of the Marching Arts Since 1999!

Version 16.1.0